In memory of my grandson, Ben, (the first anniversary of his passing is Weds 9/16/09) I'm offering $100.00 toward a skateboard.

Aside from Moto Cross, Ben loved skateboarding. If he wasn't on his dirt bike, he could be found on the skateboard.Every year, before Christmas, when I'd ask him what he'd like ~ he'd grin, and I'd know! I'd let him choose the board off the internet, order it, and then on Christmas morning he'd act so excited and surprised.
If you know of a young person who would like a skateboard either for Christmas or just in general, please leave a comment. I'll leave this post up until Thursday, and the winner will be announced on Friday or Saturday. Perhaps, if there are no children in your life, you may know of one who would be happy to receive this gift.
If you win, you or your child can choose the board over the internet, and I'll pay up to $100.00. I hope this will make someone happy just as it always did my grandson, and I know in my heart he would be smiling now.....

69 comments:
What a wonderful thing for your to do - bringing some joy to a child! I don't have any children, but I have some nephews who would be thrilled to have one!
What a beautiful way to honor your sweet Ben!
Skateboarding isn't an easy to do pastime here in our part of the delta with the gravel roads and dirt turn rows so I'll be watching the joy you're passing on with a load of smiles!
What a sweet way to honor Ben's memory. I can't believe it's been a year already.
Dear Sally,
This is such a wonderful thing for you to do...but none of us who know you should be surprised at all!
I know your sweet Ben is smiling...
I did a post announcing this on my blog!
Big hugs))
Junie
I'm sure Ben is smiling and happy that you would do this for a deserving child! I just posted the announcement on my blog. I wish I knew of a child who wanted one.
*HUGS*
My prayers are with you and your family during this time, Sally. This is a really nice way to remember Ben and honor his memory. My girls (the twins) are big Vans fans and love all that skateboard clothing (not much good at skateboarding). And, Little Billy is a pretty good skateboarder.
I will post something about your giveaway on my blog - you bet!!!
TAke care and have a good weekend.
Kellan
what a wonderful idea to commemorate a wonderful young man, sally.
ily,
dani xxx
Since my 3 kids are all grown and we haven't been blessed with grandchildren yet, I will make sure a child in my community gets the skateboard for Christmas, if I win it.
May God send His peace that passes understanding to your family's hearts as you remember precious Ben.
Consider the word passed on my Dear Sally...my heart is with you
Sandi
My grandson has one but this is SO Sweet of you Sally!!
You'll bring happiness to someone's baby!!
Can't wait to see who wins!!
hughughugs
Over from Sandi's to say this is a fabulous way to remember and honor Ben .. I think you can leave me out of the drawing ...
What a nice thing to do in memory of Ben. I'm sure the child who gets the skateboard will treasure it.
Just a suggestion but you should give the child a letter along with the board so you can tell him/her what a great person Ben was, and how much he is missed.
((((hugs))))
Oh Sally, I just know Ben is smiling down from heaven at this very sweet and thoughtful tribute to his memory. I have a 16 year old grandson who would LOVE a new skateboard. Please enter me in the contest.
Hugs!
Kat
I'll post about the contest on my blog on my next post.
Oh, Sally! You made my day; what a wonderfully positive idea. A great idea. You take care.
Sally,
I just realized that even tho my 'Grands' are all grown up...I DO have some kids in my life! I have 2 great nieces and 2 great nephews I could give a skateboard to! :)
So put me in!! lol
Hugs))
Junie
Sally, you sure would make another childs day. God Bless You !!! Please enter me in your wonderful giveaway. With the unemployment so high in my community I am sure I could find a child in need.
Angie
I wonderful tribute to your grandson.
I have no childen but my church has several children who would love a skateboard, and their parents are unable to provide for them.
Sally,
What a wonderful way to express your love for your grandson and to honor the memories of what brought him joy. My son loves skateboards, scooters, you name it. I'll post this on my blog as well.
I just went back and read the tribute to Ben from his classmates at the game. wow. That was truly amazing!
Here from Sandi's. Don't enter me into the giveway. I just want to give you some ♥♥♥ and HUGS.
Boomer Baby Bliss
What a sweet gesture, Sally. I am sorry about your loss. Breaks my heart just thinking about it.
I don't know any kids who skateboard, though I know of many who do. Around here (southern Connecticut) they are treated like misfits. But they are the sweetest kids around.
Wishing you peace.
Bless your heart!!!! May the good Lord comfort you and youres!
Many Blessings~Judy
I have a grandson that would love this!!
saltboxgatherings@comcast.net
Sorry to hear of your loss and I am sure this is something that He would have been proud of you for doing. I have a 7 yr old grandson who had this old wood board that he asked me to paint a picture of his favorite Bionitical ?? Man. LOL So I did but wouldn't this be a neat gift for him instead. Wishing you a large peaceful place in your heart thru this. Bev
Well, that is a great way to start a Sunday. Tears in my eyes and prayers in my heart.
Sally this is a wonderful thing to do. The draw is a wonderful idea.
All of our kids have what they need, I think it would be even more wonderful if a needy child received it. Instead of being in the draw, I am going to make sure that a skateboard is donated for our Christmas hampers that the local foodbank puts together. In memory of Ben. God bless.
Thank you all so very much. Joe, I can't thank you enough either. I know Ben would be very, very proud. xxoo
I know a few boys who love to skate board! I will put up a link Sally
a beuatiful expression of your love of your grandson ...Donna told us about this on our forum and I think it is fantstic what you are doing in his memory..not a doubt he is smiling down at grandma today! I lost a couple nieces and know the grief a family feels in losing our young people ..God bless you!
Sally,
Hugs to you and yours as you pass this important milestone. I know how much you all miss him.
What a wonderful idea to memorialize Ben this way. In effect, keeping his memory on wheels via another childs boarding!
My two nephews and neice have endured the loss of their sister Kayla so bravely. And since her passing have been thrilled to have moved from Edmonton to BC where they can be close to family. Kayla made her dad promise to move them here after she passed away. He kept that promise. To these kids, just being here near family has been gift enough. With Bens passing being so sudden, he didnt have time for dying wishes. But I know that by your gift in his honor, he will be so pleased. Maybe he and Kayla have bumped into each other up there!
Still feeling great, Sally. Thanks again for the hunk of burning love angel!
what a wonderful idea, sally....and i imagine this feels so good to you, to be able to do something in ben's name...to keep this tradition...and pass along his love and story. i agree with one of your readers, that it should be accompanied by a letter from you telling how special he was. our grandbabies have all they need, but we have a sweet little family that we take care of for christmas....and i know any one of them would be thrilled.
hope your day is wonderful.
hugs,
kimberly
I can even fathom the pain that must be present. I hope that somehow, you get the "peace that passes all understanding" during the tears, and memories.
What a beautiful way to honor his memory. I have 3 boys and and one who is all about skateboarding. His first *nice* board was stolen a few months back, he'd love to get another good one.
Thank you for your generous heart! What a wonderful way to honor a beautiful life!
What a precious tribute to your grandson! Thank you for letting me know! IT would be an honor!
i did, but i'm glad i came back... as i don't recall having seen the snapshot. what a handsome young man your ben was, sally!!!
i love you,
dani xxx
I'm sure Ben would love this wonderful gesture.
My grandson would be thrilled with a skateboard. Things are tough for his parents right now, and well me too, and all he wants is a new board.
Your dear Ben would be proud Grandma.
there would be a very happy 9 year old here. He has a tiny board and practises and practises. How nice of you to honor your grandson in this way. Hugs to you from our family
Hi, I'm Debbie. I came over from Sandi's blog. It's very nice to meet. You have a beautiful blog here. Hugs to you and your family.
Ben would just love what ur doing Sally girl;o) Great way to make some happy memories in Ben's name;o)
My nieces would love a skateboard. Their daddy has been without work for a long time. I'd love to brighten my girls' hearts.
This is a wonderful way to honor your precious one.
Also, thanks for checking out my blog. How did you find me?
Roxie, if I could answer your question, I'd be able to solve the world's problems. I just wanted as many children has possible to have a chance.
My son would love a skateboard. He is about to turn 7, and he has a little one. What a wonderful way to remember your grandson!
Oh Sally, sweetheart, this just brought tears and wanted to give you just the biggest HUG!! What a wonderful way to honor Ben :) and so thoughtful of you.
I'm too old and my son doesn't do them, but I'm so glad I came and saw you're wonderful tribute. Ben hears you and is just a smiling!!!!
You are too, too sweet... :( My heart aches that you lost one, but at the same time I think it's wonderful that you're doing something in return. My son has been dying for a skateboard. His 7th birthday is coming up, not to mention Christmas, and I was already fresh out of ideas after supplying family with them. Regardless, I wish you the best in healing.
What a lovely tribute to your grandson. I'll enter. My son would love one, but since we're overseas, I would give it to an avid little skater that I know.
what a wonderful way to share a nice memory of your grandson! I have two teen boys that would love to get their hands on a new board! thanks for sharing!
Look at this, #47 - Ben's number, but we'll keep going until Weds night.
Sorry, I meant Thursday night, I have Wednesday on my mind and in my heart. :(
Oh Sally, this is so sweet. I'm glad you can bless some other boy this way.
My 15 year old son loves to skate board. He'd love this if I win.
Wow,
how nice of you to do this :)
My little man loves skateboarding.
Blessings,
Mavis
Oh Sally, This is inspiring! Last Friday while snooping around, I came across your post about Ben's death. I tried to leave a comment but there wasn't any comment button. Hugs to you and your daughter.
This is a beautiful tribute to Ben's memory. You inspire a lot of us. Ben is smiling am sure.
I won't join the drawing. We do not have kids, we've been married for twelve years until cancer took away my uterus. You are lucky to be blessed with a daughter and a grandson too.
I will post this in my blog. You are the embodiment of kindness!
Some little kid is going to be smiling like Ben use to!
Thank you, Sally!
What a wonderful way to remember Ben! I'm here from Debbie's place;)
This has nothing to do with the giveaway but I had to tell you that I was in the garage getting ready to mow and a HUGE 18 wheel yellow "Super Sod" truck rode by and just guess who I thought of? LOL
Wow...how generously kind of you Sally. I am imagining the glow about Ben right now in anticipation of what skateboard they might choose...
Sadly, those closest to me are out of skateboards and into cars...so I will look on with admiration - hoping a grateful heart earns his/her name to be picked...BUT if you ever give any cars away...well then, I'll leave my name ten times.
love to you this beautiful september morning ~
no one I know that could use a skateboard, I just want to say this is such a sweet way to remember you grandson.
I am a teacher in San Angelo, Texas. I just read a journal entry from one of my students who is a skateboarder. I'm sure he'd love to have a new skateboard in honor of your grandson.
Paula Plachno
What a thoughtful way to remember your sweet boy and honor him
What a generous, loving gesture in honor of a loving young man.
I have a lovely boy, 12 years old, who loves skateboarding !
Guess what else ? He also has a dirtbike, a Kawasaki KLX 110 - lime green ! that he absolutely adores....
Jut wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you today, more than the usual that is!
Lots of love and hugs to you today sweetie!!!((((((HUG)))))))
Sally, I'm sending hugs and cheering for someone to win, knowing that Ben will be watching and thinking that his Gran is doing such a cool thing! Since I don't really have anyone who is of skateboarding age yet, I'll let someone else have a chance at winning. Much love to you, today and always!
Sally,
Just here to let you know you and your family have been much on my mind this day!
Love and Hugs,
Junie Rose
thinking of you sally....hoping you feel the love and prayers and care for you and your dear family and ben......
xoxoxo
kimberly
Sally, you are an amazing woman! You are all heart.
Hi Sally,
Just wanted to drop by and let you now that you are in my thoughts and prayers! I know this is a hard time right now for you and your family and I am sending you lots of hugs your way! Thanks for being such a good blogging friend!
My brother loves to skateboard, and he needs a new board.
I'm sorry for your loss, thanks for passing on his, Ben, love for the sport!
Christie L
I don't know of a young person for the skateboard, but I just wanted to say what a wonderful way of remembering Ben! To lose someone you love so much, and then to make something so positive out of it... you have a heart of love!
Blessings!
Nita Jo
I came over from Sandi McBride's place--
I think this is a beautiful way to honor Ben. Blessings to you and your family
Post a Comment